5th National Youth Climate Summit
Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) together with Clean Energy Nepal (CEN) successfully conducted “5th National Youth conference on Climate Change”, 3 days residential training at Agricultural Development Bank Central Training Centre, Bode, Bhaktapur from 19th to 21st March 2017. 60 enthusiastic youth throughout the Nepal have attended this conference.
With an aim of “Empowering youth for resilient Future”, the conference went through sensitizing youth on climate change and its policies with its impact on gender. The 3 days conference was informative, interactive and was able to develop requites skills to communicate their stand on climate change through different sessions. The conference ended with the Demand declaration prepare by the 60 youths which will be submitted to the concerned government authority.
This conference was supported by WWF Nepal, Southern Voices, and OXFAM.
Youth Demand Declaration:
We, 60 participants throughout the country attending “5th National Youth Conference on Climate Change” during 19th to 21st March 2017 organized by Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) together with Clean Energy Nepal (CEN) have prepared a Youth declaration draft to be submitted to the Government of Nepal. In this regards, we urge:
- Despite having a potential to contribute in climate action, the NDC of Nepal missed youth as an actors / stakeholders. It’s a demand of youth to include us in decision making process and in the climate change workshops because it’s our right to get information and be part of such processes.
- Proper investment along with engagement of youth for climate resilient future.
- Youth should be taken as a Government delegate while participating in every Conference of Parties and other national and international conferences.
- Formulate the Action plan to create Opportunities for Youth.
- Effective action plan should be taken into account of the effective implementation of Paris agreement in tandem with goal no. 13 of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Proper transparent disbursement of 80% Budget, allocated by government of Nepal guided by Climate Change Policy and National Adaptation program of Action.
- Government should have proper climate disaster planning indicating effective enforcement of adaptation plan such as climate resilient building regulations.
- Government to include Non-Motorized Transport (NMT) (walking, cycling and electric vehicles) in plans and policies.
- Adaptation related investment must include capacity building and technology transfer in climate smart agriculture.
- Government should accept the required adaptation funds as Grant, but not as loan.
- Government to come up with urgent actions to immediately address current air pollution.
- Government to enforce the Article no. 35 of 2072 Constitution of Nepal i.e. “Every person shall have the rights to live in clean and healthy environment”.
- Government should consider establishing the research based works regarding loss and damage, potential impact of climate change in various sectors. Hence, government should establishing research center under climate change policy 2011 with availability of resources.