Green discussion forum of Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) about “Corporate Social Responsibility and Environment” was done on 5th July, 2013, by Resource person- Mr. Mochan Bhattarai, from Socially Responsible Business Development Network (SRBDN). The entire program was divided into two sessions. The first one was the theoretical part, where the resource person explained on CSR, its significance and how it related with environment. During the program Mr. Bhattarai shared some example how the social responsibility has become a strategy of business and according to him “CSR is not intended for marketing or business it should be voluntarily and applied on win – win condition for both organization and stakeholder”. Further he highlighted that CSR is based on creative and interacting processes and it should be long term that goes irrespective of profit and put impacts on stakeholders. The second session was about discussion where participants were asked their queries to resource person. While answering those questions he gave some good example of 3P (Profit, Planet and People i.e. economics, environment and society) is necessary for sustainable development. Many organizations are contributing on environment sector.eg: Vodafone Qatar lunched biodegradable SIM card, Laxmi Bank’s one account: one tree scheme, etc. In this way, many National and Int’l organizations are working on environment and social sector as they use the resources of our planet; earth for gaining profit an is enough to remove the dilemma of participants . A total of 40 participants from ASCOL, KUSOM, Tri-Chandra, NYCA, Paschim Paaila and CEV made the program a success.
The program formally ended by handing over a token of love to the resource person and quick discussion on possible topics for next sessions.
With the aim of celebrating the World Environment Day 2013, Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) is organizing a week long Environment Week. As a part of the week-long program, NYCA proudly presents “Think, Eat, save and BLOG” Competition. The main objective of this Blog Competition is to aware youths, environmental enthusiasts and the future generation on the UN Environment Day Theme, the importance of rational food habits: reducing food waste and loss across the food supply chain and to encourage the amateur bloggers of the nation.
Submission Guidelines and Event Timeline
- The theme of the competition is “Think, Eat, Save”. Engaging, interesting, and passionate posts are welcomed.
- The blogposts should be clear, concise and ORIGINAL!
- The blogposts should have minimum of 600 and maximum 800 words. English and Nepali medium are both welcome.
- The blogposts should be submitted to the email email@example.com by May 31st 2013.
- All the submitted posts will be judged by an expert jury panel and 10 best blogs will be shortlisted by June 1st. The shortlisted 10 blogs will be posted on the Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) facebook page.
- The shortlisted bloggers are then encouraged to gain maximum likes on their blogposts by sharing them with their friends in facebook list.
- The facebook promotion of the blogs should stop by 5 pm NST on 4th June, 2013.
- The top 3 blogs will be selected on the basis of Maximum likes obtained by the blogs on our facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/NYCANepal?ref=hl
- The 3 winners will be announced on June 4th after 5 pm
- The top 3 winners will be awarded NRs. 2500, 1500 and 1000 respectively. The winners will be invited to Nepal Environment Film Festival finale afternoon, which is to be held at Russian Culture Center, Kamalpokhari on June 5th, 2013.
For further details
Nepalese Youth for Climate Action
Ph: 01 4464981, 9841661146
For further reading:
Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) with support from its partner organizations is continuously organizing awareness, advocacy and action campaign nationally since the time of its establishment. In the year 2009, 2010 and 2011 we were came up with the creative idea of celebrating environment day through Mega event “Eco-football: Goal Against Climate change” with main objective to spread message nationally through media and through participants same as in 2012 we organized Third Nepalese Youth Climate Summit in Pokhara to advocate youths from grassroots level.
This year, NYCA has come up with more creative, result oriented plan for bigger and better event to mark the world environment day 2013. The Environment day will celebrate for one whole week with many events in Nepal.
Following are the major activities that we have come up with:
a)Facebook and social networking campaign
Knowing the effectiveness of social networking tools in campaigning, a massive awareness campaign using social networking tools such as Facebook, Twitter, and Blog will be organized throughout the Week. During the campaign, photo profile and status of most of the youth and other people in Facebook will be same with the common theme, blog competition on theme of World Environment Day 2013. Among the blogs best 3 will publish on NYCA official website and the different message will be circulated through Facebook, twitter and other social networking tools.
b)Nepal Environment Film Festival (NEFF)
Nepal Environment Film Festival is one of the events which will be organized in mid of the environment week on 3, 4 and 5 June 2013. The latest documentaries short films and movie clips on different environmental issues will be screened during this festival. The two hour documentary/film screening will be followed by the talk program and discussion on issues highlighted by the documentaries. NYCA will try to have the presence of documentary producer and subject related expert in the discussion session every day.
Date : 3 to 5 June 2013
Time : 2 to 5 PM
Venue : Russian Culture center
Entrance : Tickets for Corporate houses and free invitation pass for general public
A song will be prepared which will be sang by renowned artists and officially the lyrics is called on opening of Environmental Film Festival and will be played in 6th Anniversary of NYCA (August 10, 2013)
Idea Challenge is a competition will be done through the social media facebook, where people can post their creative and genuine ideas. Among them NYCA choose the best idea will implement in Environment week 2013.
Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA) is a youth lead coalition of the Nepalese youth and youth groups tackling climate change, the biggest challenge of our generation. NYCA was established in August 10, 2008 with the motto “Caring for Climate, Caring for Ourselves”.
We envision an economically prosperous and sustainable Nepal where youth play an active role in leading the society towards cleaner future.
Our goal is to protect Nepal and the Nepalese people from the adverse impacts of climate change by spreading awareness, advocating policies and taking action. We aim to play a key role in transitioning Nepal towards climate resilience by leading adaptation efforts and mitigation of GHGs.
We work with the following objectives
- To raise awareness in local, national and international level regarding climate change.
- To educate, empower and mobilize youth to achieve our goals and vision.
- To establish the network of youths in the Local, National, Regional and Global level for the Climate Campaigning.
- To conduct the research and studies on the different components of climate change.
- To support the Nepalese government in international negotiations for the strong lobbing on Nepal’s and Nepal member coalition’s position.
- To pressurize the large GHGs emitting countries for deeper cuts in their emission within their boundaries
- To pressurize developed countries to assist with the adequate and predictable financial support for the adaptation and transfer of the technology in the developing country.
- To pressurize Nepalese government for switching towards the low carbon economy.
comprehensive website coming soon.